Month: December 2013
Christmas is almost here again ! A few days left before enjoying two wonderful moments of the year : Christmas and, of course, the holydays comming with it that we all SCANdalously deserve.
But now, you are wandering : And what if we go to another country? How could we share this wonderful event with other people? So sad ;-(…
Fortunately for you, we, the wonderful, incredible, astonishing, amazing…. well… okay we stop here. We will give you the best of all your christmas’ and life gifts : HOW TO SAY MERRY CHRSITMAS IN MORE THAN 40 COUNTRIES !!!
Okay, we won’t put them all , but here are one of the funniest :
Breton: Nedeleg laouen na bloavezh mat (How come this can be French?)
Iroquois: Ojenyunyat Sungwiyadeson honungradon nagwutut. Ojenyunyat osrasay. (It’s a pain saying Merry Christmas in this language…)
Ukrainian: Z Rizdvom Khrystovym or S rozhdestvom Kristovym (A word of one letter??? Wow, wanna speak Ukrainian, it looks so cool 🙂 )
And much more!!!
Samoan: La Maunia Le Kilisimasi Ma Le Tausaga Fou
Polish: Wesolych Swiat Bozego Narodzenia or Boze Narodzenie
Haiti: (Creole) Jwaye Nowel or to Jesus Edo Bri’cho o Rish D’Shato Brichto
Corsian: Pace e salute
Chinese: (Cantonese) Gun Tso Sun Tan’Gung Haw Sun
Well you must admit now that you are much less stupid than before, no? So thank you SCAN Team for that wonderful christmas gift! Glædelig Jul! (Ahah, this time it’s your turn to find it! 🙂 )
This week end was the lights festival in Lyon, and our scan reporters took some pictures of the most interesting places during this festival.
Below you will find pictures of “Tunnel de la Croix Rousse” and of “Place des Terraux”. If you have some more you can send them to us, we’ll be pleased to put them in this post!
Photos from the 2013 edition
This Festival is the event Lyon is the most known for, and you will understand why on the 6th of December !
Its origin goes back to the 8th of December 1852, the day when a statue of the Virgin Mary was erected, 3 months after the planned date. Lyon people were therefore very excited for this day, but it happened to be raining, so the ceremony was delayed again. In the afternoon, it stopped raining and a rainbow appeared : everyone spontaneously lit up their houses and proceedeed to do the ceremony, which results in the Festival of Lights we now know.
Magical is the word that people often use to describe this festival, while deambulating in the streets between huge illuminated objects and buildings, with moving light that creates a story, accompanied by sound and 3D effects.
This festival is a unique moment : you get to see (or discover !) Lyon under another angle, walking aimlessly in an enchanting atmosphere…
Photos from previous years
This year’s program : from the 6th of December to the 9th of December :
- The Tunnel of the Croix – Rousse : You will wander in this 1.6 km long tunnel, where 2D and 3D images, as well as videos will be projected on the walls. Depending on where you will stand, what you will see will be different !
- South of Lyon : This year’s theme is the elements, and mostly the fire and water : from performances with images of light projected on water to people playing with fire, you will not be feeling letdown !
- City – center : Many different shows will be waiting for you : one is a work of sounds and lights, which retraces the history of Lyon, another one is the story of a Prince of Light, looking for a stolen treasure. A Village in the Sky will come to like above the docks, while the Fourvière Basilica and the old Courthouse will be illuminated by a light revealing details you might have never paid attention to.
- North of Lyon : In this part of the city, China and Mexico are the ones in the spotlight. Lotus lakes, Chinese shadows shows, a historical reconsituted village and traditional lanterns will transport you to China. Then a parade in honour of Mexico, with more than 5 metres high puppets will march in the streets, will make you travel to another continent !
- Districts : The Wall of the Lyonnais will be illuminated and animated for the first time, and at the Croix-Rousse, a gallery of sounds and lights will attract you and alter your senses, making you discover a new experience.
So if you’re near Lyon, I hope that you will go to the Festival and enjoy yourselves !
And don’t worry if you can’t go there, we will update this article with our own photos of this year’s Festival !